- Company Achieves In Vivo Proof-of-Editing in the Retina of Non-Human Primates -
- Unparalleled Genome Editing Platform Includes Cpf1 and Advanced Forms of Cas9 -
CAMBRIDGE, Mass., Jan. 09, 2017 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- In a presentation to investors on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 at 11:30am (PST) at the 35th Annual J.P. Morgan Healthcare Conference, Editas Medicine, Inc. (NASDAQ:EDIT) President and CEO Katrine Bosley will outline the Company’s progress on developing medicines and building the leading genomic medicine company. In her remarks, Ms. Bosley will discuss several components of the Company’s growth, including:
- Driving Editas Medicine’s unparalleled platform for genome editing medicines. As the only company with access to the CRISPR genome editing systems Cas9, advanced forms of Cas9, and the novel Cpf1 genome editing system, Editas Medicine has the potential to treat the broadest range of diseases through efficient editing of nearly any genetic target.
- Advancing a pipeline strategy to enable successful product development in the years ahead. For Editas Medicine’s LCA10 program, this includes achieving the first in vivo proof-of-editing in the retina of non-human primates, as well as the Company’s goal to submit an IND for the LCA10 program by the end of 2017. In addition, Ms. Bosley will discuss recent progress in achieving consistent, durable editing in hematopoietic stem cells and high efficiency editing of CAR-T cells.
- Building the business for the long term by assembling the capabilities to fully develop and commercialize important medicines. This includes aggressively developing valuable partnerships, robust financial resources, an unmatched patent position, and an outstanding team and culture to drive Editas Medicine’s bold vision for years to come.
“We had a very strong 2016 that lays the important groundwork to make 2017 a transformative year for Editas Medicine,” said Ms. Bosley. “We are focused on driving our unparalleled platform and executing our pipeline strategy while building the company into the genomic medicine leader. At Editas Medicine, we have a bold vision and are excited about unlocking the power of CRISPR to design and develop genome editing therapies for patients suffering from genetically-defined and genetically-treatable diseases.”
In addition, Ms. Bosley will outline the Company’s 2017 goals, including driving the following critical initiatives:
- Submitting an IND for the LCA10 program by year-end 2017;
- Initiating an LCA10 clinical natural history study in mid-2017;
- Achieving preclinical proof-of-concept for additional programs;
- Establishing additional alliances aligned with the Company’s business development strategy; and
- Continuing to build an outstanding organization and culture.
About Editas Medicine
Editas Medicine is a leading genome editing company dedicated to treating patients with genetically-defined diseases by correcting their disease-causing genes. The Company was founded by world leaders in genome editing, and its mission is to translate the promise of genome editing science into a broad class of transformative genomic medicines to benefit the greatest number of patients.
This press release contains forward-looking statements and information within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. The words "anticipate," "believe," "continue," "could," "estimate," "expect," "intend," "may," "plan," "potential," "predict," "project," "target," "should," "would," and similar expressions are intended to identify forward-looking statements, although not all forward-looking statements contain these identifying words. Forward-looking statements in this press release include statements regarding the Company’s goals of submitting of an IND for the LCA10 program by year-end 2017, initiating an LCA10 natural history study in mid-2017, achieving preclinical proof-of-concept for additional programs and establishing alliances. The Company may not actually achieve the plans, intentions, or expectations disclosed in these forward-looking statements, and you should not place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements. Actual results or events could differ materially from the plans, intentions and expectations disclosed in these forward-looking statements as a result of various factors, including: uncertainties inherent in the initiation and completion of preclinical studies and clinical trials and clinical development of the Company's product candidates; availability and timing of results from preclinical studies and clinical trials; whether interim results from a clinical trial will be predictive of the final results of the trial or the results of future trials; expectations for regulatory approvals to conduct trials or to market products and availability of funding sufficient for the Company's foreseeable and unforeseeable operating expenses and capital expenditure requirements. These and other risks are described in greater detail under the caption "Risk Factors" included in the Company's most recent Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q, which is on file with the Securities and Exchange Commission, and in other filings that the Company may make with the Securities and Exchange Commission in the future. Any forward-looking statements contained in this press release speak only as of the date hereof, and the Company expressly disclaims any obligation to update any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
Editas Media Contact
Pure Communications, Inc.
Editas Investor Contact
Editas Medicine, Inc.